Site Design Notes
The clutter-free design provides a focused experience. The simplicity of the site allows faster page loading. A dark mode color scheme provides for high contrast viewing that is easy on the eyes. These are just a few of the benefits of the design approach used for this website.
The design approach used with this website provides many benefits:
- Backups. A downloaded backup of this entire site can be made in about seven seconds. In about one second, the entire site can be copied to a USB flash drive for offline viewing. This is made possible by using minimalist content and simple HTML code.
- Colors. Site colors were selected for easy visibility and low brightness. [More]
- Content Selection. As a reference site, content is evaluated for longevity. Commentary about current events or help guides for tech issues are not added to this site. They are hosted elsewhere.
- Continuous Improvement. This site is regularly reviewed to consider possible improvements in design and function.
- Eco-Tech. Some devices will turn off screen pixels where there is a black image or background. So, this can help conserve energy and battery life. Also, the site uses fewer computer resources because it doesn't use a content management system or content delivery network. The simple content uses less network bandwidth.
- Fonts. The font used on this site is of the Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif family. The default font size is larger than usual. The larger white text against a black background provides a high contrast that is easier to read. This ensures those with visual impairments can easily read the site when it loads. On mobile devices, rotating the screen makes the font size even larger. This is also available on desktop browsers by narrowing the viewing window to 1000 pixels. Those wishing to view the site using a different font size can use their browser's zoom feature to adjust the font size.
- Health. The reduction in blue and white light helps reduce stimulation at night. This can promote better sleep, which can support improved health and wellbeing.
- Management. Site management is simplified by using basic HTML pages.
- Navigation. This site was designed to be easy to navigate, with links to four primary pages accessible on each page.
- Outcomes. As content is considered, it is evaluated to determine how useful it is in achieving the goals of the site.
- Planning. The overall planning of this site involves growth in slow small steps. This permits more purposeful and well thought changes and additions.
- Portable. This site is designed so it can be easily downloaded to a flash drive and still function even without an Internet connection. This can make it useful during outages. The simple site design ensures that even when viewed without an Internet connection, the site works properly.
- Reliable. Modern websites are developed using many complex layers of interdependent technologies and third-party services. If any of these fail, sites may go down or become infected with harmful malware. Whether from human error, system failure, or malicious intentions, disruptions can occur. The cost in time and money is excessive. There is also a great environmental cost in having so many computers running continuously, hosting millions of websites. During times of global instability due to climate extremes and pandemics, outages may happen more frequently and take longer to recover from when there are fewer people available to repair systems.
- Security. Simple sites require less effort to secure. A site like this one with no login portal offers no opportunity for attempted logins. A denial of service attack takes down websites by overloading hosting servers. Simple sites are more resilient to such attacks.
- Speed. Internet speed can be slow for many reasons: poor WiFi signal, weak phone signal, congested service areas during events, older slower devices, regional outages, and generally slow service in some areas. By keeping the site simple, it is fast and accessible to all people regardless of their level of access to technology and high-speed Internet service.
- Font Size. The font size on this site is intentionally large for easier viewing. To adjust the size smaller or larger use your browser's zoom feature. On smartphones you can rotate the phone to landscape mode and the font will be made extra large. On desktop browsers, making the window narrow will enlarge the font automatically
- Links. Links on this site do not open in a new tab or window. To open links in a new window, use Control+Click on Linux and Windows, or Command+Click on Apple. On touch devices, touch and hold links to request a new tab or page.
Site Design Reference Pages
These are pages relating to site design, development, and management.